The Life Coaching Handbook
Book of the Week! I am recommending some reading material to some of my coachees and as such, I thought I would share these books, articles and videos with you. I will share more of my work during 2020 in the shape of podcasts, the launch of my YouTube channel and new publications. For now, I would like to review the book of the Month, “The Life Coaching Handbook” by Curly Martin.
When I first studied life coaching, many years ago, I read Curly Martin’s book, “The Life Coaching Handbook”, and now as a qualified life coach, who also trains others to become a life coach, I recommend many books for students of life coaching to read.
I also discuss in my training sessions the importance of considering the qualities of an effective life coach and for individuals to review these qualities to ensure life coaching is the path for them. For me the main qualities of a life coach are:
- Compassionate Empathy. Above all, effective life coaches genuinely love what they do and care about people.
- Active Listening. If you become a life coach, you will spend much of your days listening to people’s problems.
- Problem-Solving, you will need to be able to help people resolve the situations or issues they are facing in their lives.
- Communication, you will need to be able to communicate with others and to use their frame of reference and their communication preference style, to ensure you can both understand them and that they can understand you.
In-order to coach effectively as a life coach, you need to ensure you develop the essential skills for life coaching and these are all covered in my life coaching training. For me the essential skills for life coaches are:
- Effective communication – as mentioned above effective communication cannot be underestimated in the coaching relationship.
- Awareness – self-awareness is the capacity for introspection, which is to look at one’s own conscious thoughts and feelings, with the ability to recognise oneself as an individual separate from the environment and other individuals.
- Listening skills – listening is an art by which we use empathy to reach across space between us. Passive attention doesn’t work. Not only is listening, an active process, it often takes a deliberate effort to suspend our own needs and reactions. Non-verbal listening techniques are paramount to the coaching process.
- Characteristics of good questions – powerful questions are provocative enquiries which put a stop to people being elusive and feeling bewildered. By asking the powerful question, the coach invites the client to clarity, put in place actions and discovery at a whole new level of personal self-insight.
Here are some of the results and benefits of my life coaching practice:
- You will learn about life coaching as a powerful development tool.
- You will develop practical skills and learn how to make achievable goals.
- You will explore life coaching as a means of generating personal and professional change.
- You will learn how to plan improvements in your own life while developing a coaching philosophy.
- You will explore your triggers and learn how to implement a new way of regulating these triggers.
Outcomes from my life coaching practice:
- You will have the opportunity to develop self-awareness which is the key to self-mastery.
- You will understand your “Emotional Intelligence” and how you can make your “EQ” work for you.
- You will develop the ability to identify and change your behaviour by creating a new narrative around your identity.
- You will learn about the power of reflection, and how simple ways can support you in making incredible breakthroughs.
- You will understand yourself more, and I will assist you in overcoming the challenges and barriers that you are facing in your life right now, which can include work-related issues.
Overview of the book
This handbook is essential for any potential life coach consultant or indeed if you want to engage as a client. This life coaching book takes you on a journey of understanding and gives you a full comprehension of what life coaching is. For those who wish to train as a life coach, you will find this book will teach you how to effectively set up and sustain a fruitful practice. The book is clearly scripted and presented well, each section begins with an outline and finishes with a clear summary.
This book is for anyone who is involved in coaching either life coaching or indeed any other kind of coaching, as this book offers, an all-inclusive, impressive overview of some popular coaching tools and techniques, linking into some advanced NLP based methods. This book is a meaningfully and insightful guide for any new coaches looking to set up their own life coaching business or an excellent reference for the busy life consultant looking to enhance their skills.
About the Author
In 1992 Curly Martin was told she had nine months left to live. Cancer Free For 20 Years is the story of her journey. Now as an international bestselling author and know for becoming the grandmother of life coach training, Curly has built a successful coaching business and written or co-written over 30 books and articles on coaching. Curly Martin is an inspiration to us all. I for one can highly recommend her life coaching books.
Eileen specialises in helping clients with inspired learning and leadership development, by supporting and equipping talent management with a variety of training or coaching packages.
Eileen works with senior management teams, individuals, independents, & other coach’s on executive, interpersonal or business coaching.
Please visit her websites